We are deep in the middle of the holiday season. While some people really enjoy gathering with family and friends to reflect and celebrate this time of year, not everyone is happy, and not everyone enjoys the holidays. Stop for a minute and reflect if this sounds like you.
Signs You May Not Be Full of Holiday Cheer
There are signs that you can look for to see if you are happy during this holiday season, or if you are suffering from holiday stress:
- You feel sad or uncomfortable at large gatherings. You don’t feel like joining in or participating.
- You want to spend all day in your robe watching Netflix.
- You avoid talking to family and friends, and spend as much time alone as possible.
- The thought of spending a holiday with your family gives you a pit of anger or fear in your stomach.
- No matter how beautiful the lights or candles, no matter whether you are watching your favorite holiday movies, no matter if you get to carol or not–you can’t seem to be happy.
What Can You Do?
There are some things that you can do to ease your stress and may help you through this crazy holiday season.
- Do things for yourself that make you happy, and enjoy those small moments of bliss. It could be as simple as a soak in the tub, or reading to your children.
- Know that those old wounds you have from your family are not going to get healed this holiday season–and be ok with that for now.
- Make sure that instead of saying yes to everything–you say no to things you don’t want to do, such as attend the fifth cookie walk in a week.
- Take care of yourself by eating properly as much as possible and getting enough sleep.
If you can’t see a way out of the sadness, I can help. Contact me today, and schedule an appointment to talk to me.